Often times, finding a fish finder that best suits your fishing needs can prove challenging without having a lot of experience with them. Provided below are reviews of some of the top handheld fish finders that you can choose from, according to the features that you’ll like best. We’ve listed the pros and cons of each unit so you can pick the best portable depth finder available in 2016 for your boat! Some are also GPS combos.
1. THE NORCROSS HAWKEYE F33P FISH FINDER.
This fish finder, made available from the 2nd of June 2008, has several features including WeedID, a size scanable and mountable sonar sensor and 4-user selectable sensitivity settings to name a few.
- Compared to other fish finders such as the Humminbird RF35, this fish finder is very reliable in detecting fish ,with its audible alarm, with greater accuracy in addition to determining water depth, bottom structures and underground debris (rocks and weeds).
- The fish finder also uses inexpensive new (or even old) AAA batteries which last longer compared to other expensive ones like lithium-ion watch batteries.
- The cords holding the sonar sensor are usually very durable and could last long if well maintained
- The screen has easy and clear visibility anytime of the day.
- The unit can easily be operated with the simple manual provided.
- The price is reasonable, with some 2year warranty.
- Easily portable.
- Does not show the accurate contours of the bottom but only the bottom structures.
- When there are water waves, its accuracy in depth finding is affected due to constant movement of the float holding the sonar sensor.
- It hard to tell the actual size of the fish while using it.
- The long cord can be annoying to deal with at times for instance when surveying a hole in a river.
- Gets easily damaged upon contact with water.
2. Venterior Portable Wired Fish Finder
This is majorly sold by Venterior and has distinct features such as a transducer sensor being 4.6cm diameter round; a sensor beam angle of 45 degrees and a 7.5 meters cable to name a few.
- Very accurate in fish and depth detection over different areas with its sensitivity settings that can be adjusted easily to suit your fishing needs.
- Easy to use with faster results.
- A better depth detection compared to others such as Lawrance Depth Finder.
- Has an attractive design.
- Easily portable.
- Requires 4 AAA batteries lasting around 2-3 hours, if used continuously.
- Reasonably priced
- Easily gets damaged upon contact with moisture or water.
- Cannot tell you the actual size of fish.
- Extremely cold water negatively impacts its performance especially below 0 degrees F.
- Some consumers claim the instructions for using it are not properly given.
- Sometimes the sound effects go off constantly for no reason.
3. SIGNSTEK FF-003 FISH FINDER
This is sold majorly by the Global Cyber Mart and has distinct features including, a multi-language menu; an audible depth and fish alarm; an indicator for fish depth and small/big fish identification; an auto zoom bottom tracking; color screen display etc. It is designed for both amateurs and professional fishermen.
- Offers an accurate depth/fish detection as well as picking up vegetation and rocks well.
- It’s compact and offers easy clarity.
- Has wonderful screen resolution and good visibility showing the depth and location of micro jigs, further allowing adjustment of the fish depth to the fish location.
- Handles moisture better than most other fish finders.
- Has descent battery life requiring 4 AAA batteries.
- Easy to use
- Comes with an easy -to -understand manual.
- Can show bottom contours clearly as well as indicate water temperatures.
- Can easily break from cold.
- Hard to use for some people.
- There are many customer complaints of its improper functioning or it dying out prompting seeking of replacements from the manufacturing company.
4. SIGNSTEK FF-002 WIRELESS
Majorly sold by Global Cyber Mart, its features are : a water temperature and bottom contour indicator; a wireless sonar sensor; 10 level sensitivity setting ; multi levels depth range etc
- It’s inexpensive
- Gives accurate depth, water temperature and displays the bottom contour clearly.
- Uses the long lasting 4 AAA batteries.
- Easily portable and easy to use due to the wireless sonar sensor.
- Cold weather affects it negatively.
- It may easily damage after using it severally by stopping to connect to the receiver hence may require an upgrade.
- Some customers complain of its constant transducer malfunctions requiring constant recasting before working well again.
5. FISH HUNNTER MILLITARY PORTABLE FISH FINDER
Majorly sold by Amazing Deals Online, this has features like protective rubber coating, works over Bluetooth, has a high frequency ( 380KHz) transducer, night vision lighting, charging notification lighting etc
- It can clearly show where fish are or are not.
- It’s well designed with a requirement to download an app and installing it which is an easy task.
- Perfectly shows depth, type of fish etc.
- Works really well via Bluetooth to your smart phone or tablet.
- Waves do not affect its operation in deep water.
- It has an easy setup.
- Easily portable.
- Provides an opportunity to keep detailed information regarding your catches, fish type, photos etc inside the app.
- Can bring some complications at times while trying to connect it with your smart phone.
- At times it has freezing problems being affected greatly by cold.
- Its flasher and sonar displays can at times fail to show fish accurately especially in very deep levels. It however shows depths accurately.
Hope this information is helpful in helping you to select the best fish finder that can give you an amazing fishing experience.